I thought it was a bad joke when I first heard it: A well-dressed, wealthy couple had apparently crashed the White House’s first State Dinner since Barack Obama became President. I’m irritated by the Secret Service’s response to this incident. They seem to feel that the President was never in any danger. Yeah. Right! Said the guy who royally screwed up on the job. What else were they going to say? Ummm….you’re right. We screwed up and it could have ended really really really badly???? Here’s my list of grievances with whole maddening situation:
The Not-So-Secret Service
1. Shame on you guys! Your one job is to protect the President. Of these United States. Shame shame shame on you for dropping this particular ball. In case you haven’t heard, Presidents have been killed because someone somewhere didn’t pay enough attention. This is worse though, because these weren’t people who were watching from a distance and tried to do something. YOU LET THEM IN and let them eat with the President. To make matters worse, there were TWO Presidents, a VP and countless other high profile White House officials in the room!!!! *sigh*
2. The President was never in any real danger? They were photographed shaking hands with the President while a visiting president stood an arms length away! This response is almost as bad as letting this couple waltz right into this event and it doesn’t exactly inspire faith in the public. You know what will? Your investigation into this ‘incident’ and the assurance that it won’t happen again.
3. Knowing what we all know – that there are people out there who aren’t so crazy about the current president AND that in past years, whackos have tried and sometimes succeeded in harming sitting presidents – you had better step up your game. This is a big and serious job that you have and you know: if you can’t manage a WH State Dinner, can you handle the more important aspects of the job? The “they were never really in any danger” approach isn’t going to work and for goodness sakes, step up your security. It’s what you do, right?
4. Your little mistake embarrassed the President, not just in the presence of the whole country but in the presence of a guest; a president from another nation. That doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in other visiting leaders, does it?
5. Anyone in the SS who thinks that these idiots didn’t have help from inside the WH, raise your hand. *crickets*
Just to be clear: mistakes happen and I get that, as I’m sure many other people do. It scares me that this happened, because it really could’ve been bad BUT what galls me, and I think many other people, is your response to it. You’re trying to be very casual about it, and you shouldn’t be. The response from the SS shouldn’t be or sound blasé. It should exude seriousness and a sense of understanding of the situation. Instead of trying to downplay the situation and save face, you really should be telling the American public that this shouldn’t have happened and you’re on top of things to figure out how it did and make sure it never does again AND please drop the “he was never really in any danger” stuff because he could’ve been and you need to show that you get that: He wasn’t but he COULD have been.
Idiots Blah and Blah Salahi
1. What you guys did was selfish and incredibly stupid. You embarrassed the President, his guests, his staff and the SS, all for 15 minutes of fame. Shame shame shame on you!
2. You don’t deserve to be in any sort of lime light and if Bravo puts you on their show, I hope that they feel the repercussions of that decision.
3. You’re living proof that money does not buy class
4. You’re wealthy so maybe this eluded you but it’s quite possible that someone – who isn’t quite as wealthy as you are – will lose their job! Shame on you. Again!
5. I hope that your friends employ the rich people’s kryptonite on you: silence.
Facebook: Now that you know how their pics were obtained, take them down and/or shut down their accounts. If you won’t even allow people to post their legally acquired pics because you don’t like the content, then you shouldn’t allow illegally obtained pics to be posted either. Be consistent please.
Bravo TV: I’m not going to say that you had anything to do with this but now that you know what this couple did, you’d better stay away from them. Ratings shouldn’t outweigh decency and integrity. What this couple did was selfish, will probably lead to someone getting fired, embarrassed the President, in front of another President…nothing about this situation would cast you in a good light if you went ahead and cast them in any of your shows