In case you can’t tell, it’s almost January 1st 2010 and I seem to be lacking in the very common New Year euphoria. I guess I’m just wondering if there are others out there who don’t quite feel excited or enthusiastic about it.
Things are feeling way more complicated that I thought they’d feel. I’m also on vacation and I suppose I expected a certain amount of rest, relaxation, rejuvenation and frankly, rescucitation. (If you knew the kind of year 2009 was for me, you would understand why I feel I need to be rescusicated.) Instead, demands I have no desire to fulfill are being shoved down my throat and the stress is killing me slowly, quite literally it feels like. I’m angry, pissy, moody, annoyed as hell, stressed, depressed and about ready to walk off a bridge (Chill out. That last one is just a figure of speech but still…) I haven’t even been here for four full weeks and yet here I am, already planning an exit. To be honest, I’m not having as much rest as I wanted. This new turn of events is giving me a serious case of the blues.
I suppose I’m wondering if there are others out there. Are you all feeling hopeful and optimistic about the new year or are your almost dreading it, seeing as a preview doesn’t seem to yield much to be happy about. I suppose some of you feel I should just smile and be positive through it. Well….tough shit. These feelings may not last but they’re here now and I’m not going to push them aside for the sake of so-called optimism. It is my contention that even optimistic people don’t ‘stay positive’ all the time. They simply understand that bad moods, days or moments in days happen and it’s only natural and human to feel them. So, once again allow me to ask: what are your true feelings, hopes and dreams for the new year 2010??? Please share: I’m listening.
Inspite of how you may feel about it, allow me to wish you a Happy and Fantabulous (yes, that’s a word. Mia’s word 🙂 ) New Year. Come over often to tell me all about it.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I’ve been trying to get the syke to write another entry but alas, I just haven’t felt like it. I mean, I’m on vacation for goodness sakes! (I doth protest too much, huh? 🙂 ). Anyhoo, I thought this would be a great time to share some of my random vacation experiences.
- Procrastination is not my friend – I have quickly come to learn that I must do certain things e.g. shower when the opportunity presents itself. Why you ask? Well, water here is rationed and so is electricity. It is not uncommon to plan to shower, cook, eat, write…later only to find that you can’t because there simply isn’t any electricity and/or water. Even on my chill days (which have been almost every day since my vacay started), I must strike while the iron is hot
- The food here is simply delicious. Let me explain: mangoes taste like mangoes. They’re not necessarily pretty and picture perfect like they might be in the US but my goodness how delicious they are! Ditto to other fruits and veggies. They haven’t been sprayed to grow bigger than usual or prettier than normal. They’re just normal yet delicious fruits and veggies. YUM!
- Seasons exist! Speaking of food and its deliciousness, I have come to understand that in this part of the world, seasons do exist. It’s been a bit frustrating to find that I can’t have a particular fruit or veggie because “it’s not the season for that.” However, it has truly enhanced my ability to enjoy and savor the produce that IS in season, because I know that it’ll soon end. However, it has also led to a building anticipation of the produce to come. I can’t wait for guava and luquart season. Until then, it’s fresh, delicious mangoes. Oh poor me 🙂 haha
- It’s not that serious! Basically, the TV shows and program line-ups here are interesting. One minute I might watch world financial news and the next I might be watching a program geared towards women and business, to be followed by a “Just for Laughs” show. I rather enjoy this. American TV can be a little too serious and rudimentary in structure, something I hadn’t realized until now. Life in general here isn’t taken so seriously, something I could learn from.
- Speaking of which, I’m learning that I need to learn how to chill the hell out! I mean seriously, it’s been less than 4 weeks and I’m already getting stressed out about not having much to do. HELLO…..it’s a vacation??? What happened to me that I can’t just chill and enjoy some much needed rest? *sigh* Well….in the spirit of getting some rest, I’m outta here. Wish me luck!
I’ll be looking to hearing from you. Feel free to tell me all about your shenanigans. Mia’s waiting to hear all about it 😉
I’m on vacation for an indefinite period of time so from now on, I’ll be writing from location. Due to my free-flowing non-schedule, I cannot promise to write as often as I’ve been writing. However, I already have some funny and interesting (imo) things to talk about so watch this space.
If I take longer than you’d like, please be patient. If patience is not a virtue you posses, feel free to give me a swift kick in the pants at firstname.lastname@example.org 🙂
I hope to write you soon!