I’ve been trying to get the syke to write another entry but alas, I just haven’t felt like it. I mean, I’m on vacation for goodness sakes! (I doth protest too much, huh? 🙂 ). Anyhoo, I thought this would be a great time to share some of my random vacation experiences.
- Procrastination is not my friend – I have quickly come to learn that I must do certain things e.g. shower when the opportunity presents itself. Why you ask? Well, water here is rationed and so is electricity. It is not uncommon to plan to shower, cook, eat, write…later only to find that you can’t because there simply isn’t any electricity and/or water. Even on my chill days (which have been almost every day since my vacay started), I must strike while the iron is hot
- The food here is simply delicious. Let me explain: mangoes taste like mangoes. They’re not necessarily pretty and picture perfect like they might be in the US but my goodness how delicious they are! Ditto to other fruits and veggies. They haven’t been sprayed to grow bigger than usual or prettier than normal. They’re just normal yet delicious fruits and veggies. YUM!
- Seasons exist! Speaking of food and its deliciousness, I have come to understand that in this part of the world, seasons do exist. It’s been a bit frustrating to find that I can’t have a particular fruit or veggie because “it’s not the season for that.” However, it has truly enhanced my ability to enjoy and savor the produce that IS in season, because I know that it’ll soon end. However, it has also led to a building anticipation of the produce to come. I can’t wait for guava and luquart season. Until then, it’s fresh, delicious mangoes. Oh poor me 🙂 haha
- It’s not that serious! Basically, the TV shows and program line-ups here are interesting. One minute I might watch world financial news and the next I might be watching a program geared towards women and business, to be followed by a “Just for Laughs” show. I rather enjoy this. American TV can be a little too serious and rudimentary in structure, something I hadn’t realized until now. Life in general here isn’t taken so seriously, something I could learn from.
- Speaking of which, I’m learning that I need to learn how to chill the hell out! I mean seriously, it’s been less than 4 weeks and I’m already getting stressed out about not having much to do. HELLO…..it’s a vacation??? What happened to me that I can’t just chill and enjoy some much needed rest? *sigh* Well….in the spirit of getting some rest, I’m outta here. Wish me luck!
I’ll be looking to hearing from you. Feel free to tell me all about your shenanigans. Mia’s waiting to hear all about it 😉